Wednesday 6 October 2010

Autumn Rot


Went for a walk today with Andrew to visit "the lightning struck tree" a tall dead tree which we presume was once the victim of a thunder bolt. During our little adventure, Andrew suggested we climb up and then down a steep muddy bank, I took a tumble (twice) scratching my arm and impaling my little finger! No real damage done - apart from my pride - but a little shock for the system. I haven't fallen over in ages and you kind of get the impression that the body forgets how! Still the scenery was wonderful with everything in a slow state of rot and decline, the wind fallen trunk beneath our feet squashed as we trod on them and mushrooms sprouted everywhere making the most of boggy conditions. It reminded me of how necessary breakdown is in order for new growth to come and I thought about all those I've encountered this year who have, in one way or another, been going through their own break down. I wonder if in a way this isn't part of their recycling, their regrowth, if once everything has decayed something new and wonderful with grow from the fertile soil of their disaster? Nature is a wonderful teacher and shows us even in death that there is always life close behind!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment